Classic Moong Dal with a Healthy Twist
I have been trying out some quick Indian recipes these days…cuz when in India, do as the Indians do.
This time I went with the traditional and modest, Moong dal. A staple in every Indian home, it is also simple to cook. Now that’s not why it’s my favorite dal. It is packed with protein, carbohydrates and fibre, and is so easy to digest!
While it is cooked differently in every Indian home, I like to add and subtract a few ingredients to make it even healthier. Here’s how I like it.
• 1 cup moong dal
• 400 ML water
• 1 bhuna red chilli (crushed)
• Tiny piece of heeng (asafoetida)
• 1 teaspoon bhuna/roasted jeera (cumin)
• Kala namak (black salt)
• 1-2 teaspoons mint chutney
• Lemon juice (quantity as per preference)
– Boil moong dal and mash it till you get thin consistency.
– Next, add kala namak, roasted jeera, red chilli, lemon juice and stir well.
– Before serving, add fresh green chutney, stir and enjoy.
I have it with red rice or thin roti. Make it your go-to dish, especially when you don’t feel like spending a lot of time in the kitchen.
Do try this and let me know how you like it.