Healthy Baking Recipe: Ragi Almond Cookies
The best part about cooking/baking is that there is no one way to it. Tweaking recipes and experimenting with ingredients is so much fun (but not always disaster-free…you know what I mean!). And when it comes to sweets, I like to make them healthy and guilt-free.
Like any other North Indian family that has a sweet tooth, mine too loves to have ‘meetha’ after meals or biscuits with ‘chai’. So, I’ve been trying out some recipes lately, of which this one, I’d say came out extremely well; something I’d love to share with y’all.
Ragi Almond Cookies
These transported me back to my childhood days in Dehradun, when we bought freshly baked biscuits, regularly, from our sweet little local bakery. Those were made from non-refined whole-wheat flour, but nevertheless, they were delicious!
Here’s how I did it 🙂
Ingredients (quantity as per a dozen cookies)
- 125g brown rice flour
- 125g ragi flour
- 125g powdered jaggery (gur)
- 1/2 cup crushed almonds
- 1/4th teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons desi ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon elaichi (cardamom) powder
- Almond milk to blend the ingredients
- Mix all the dry ingredients (brown rice flour, ragi flour, baking soda, elaichi powder and powdered jaggery) together in a bowl.
- Next, add desi ghee and crushed almonds
- Now slowly add almond milk to the mixture, and knead to make a soft dough
- Keep the dough in the fridge for 10 minutes
- Post that, make dough balls, and flatten them to give them the shape of cookies. Place them in the baking tray
- Finally, bake for 20 mins at 180 degrees, and voila!
Trust me, you’ll be really satisfied with what you get – a brown, slightly course texture with subtle sweetness.
Try, and do let me know how you like it.