Everything You Need to Know About Essential Oils
If there’s one wellness trend that has caught on with most people, it has to be essential oils. They have wonderful benefits, and can cure just about everything- right from instantly uplifting your mood, calming your mind to treating certain skin conditions and keeping your hair/scalp healthy.
Some of you already know that I love adding essential oils to my DIY recipes. You can also add them to your massage oils for that extra boost.
Now whenever I talk about using essential oils in my DIYs, I always recommend doing a patch test first. Remember, these are extremely potent oils and anyone can be allergic to them. A lot of people experience breathlessness, skin irritation and digestive issues after using them.
Here are a few tips to make sure you use them safely, and are able to derive optimum benefits.
• Do consult a doctor if you have sensitive skin, are pregnant, or have other safety questions
• Always add them to any of the carrier oils, such as almond oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil etc. Never apply them directly on to your skin
• Do a patch test. After diluting, apply a drop on the inside of your wrist or under the sole of your feet. Leave it on for 24 hours to check for any reaction.
• Less is more- all you need are a few drops (even while using in skin/hair DIYs and even in diffusers)
• Be very careful when applying on children
• Do not consume them
• Always go for 100% natural oils. Look for a guarantee at the back of the bottle. Please avoid synthetic ones.
These are some of my favorites –
Lavender – It has a calming effect on the body and helps get restful sleep -add a drop or two to your pillow. Lavender oil has anti-bacterial properties and is also a good detox for the skin. Add it to your baths, foot soaks, and shower oils. You can also add it to hair DIYs for fragrance.
Rosemary- this one promotes hair growth. Add a few drops to your hair oil.
Tea Tree- it is perfect for treating occasional zits as it has anti inflammatory, anti microbial properties. Mix a few drops with sweet almond oil, and apply directly on the zits with an ear bud.
It also helps get rid of dandruff and keeps your scalp clean and healthy- mix in jojoba oil or almond oil; gently massage your scalp; leave for 30 min, and rinse.